Friday, September 12, 2008

Career change

When you live in a small town, the pool of viable candidates for certain professions is somewhat shallow. That's where I come in. I'm not a good swimmer, but am able to wade in any pool. When the call came in for me to "fill in" at this office, I was more than happy to help out. Here's how the call played out:

RING
Me: "Hello?"
Deb: "Hi Donna, it's Deb."
Me: "Oh Hi Deb. What's up?"
Deb: "I was wondering if you had time later this month to help out at the office."
Me: "Sure. What do you need? Answer phones? Scrub toilets?"
Deb: "No, we need you to assist the dentist. You'll be rinsing and suctioning patients' mouths."
Me:
Deb: "Think you could do that?"
Me: "heh, heh. Uh, I've never done THAT before but I guess I could do it."
Deb: "Good. Why don't you come in next week and we'll show you around?"
Me: " 'k"
CLICK

And there it was. Just like that. The beginning of a new career. Turns out that assisting is something I'm adept at! I think with my innate love of tidying and neatening, suctioning spit and blood out of and around people's mouths is a natural transition.

I'm assisting next week. My first patient is a friend who is in dire need of a root canal. She's jazzed I'll be getting to know her a little more intimately. Not really, but she's a hiker friend and she's not exactly jazzed, but is pretty much indifferent as to who is on the other end of the suction tube. That's a good thing, because I'm out of practice and whatever gets in the way of the business end of that tube is fair game: tongue, cheek, doctor's glove. It gets a little dicey at times. Luckily, I've been blessed with patient patients.

3 comments:

Kelly and Mary said...

Great news! I've already subscribed to your blog and I'm looking forward to your next post. Not to put any pressure on you, but your fans want more!

Yours in following your Colorado adventures,
Mary

nonzapoo said...

: ) Thanks for the encouraging comment. I'm learning to think like I'm going to write about my experiences and other people might actually read them. So I have to clean up my language.... I recently operated a trencher to dig a trench around our friend's house to install an electric fence for their dog. Now THAT'S something to write about!!!!!!

Mark said...

I don't know that I would want an electrician working on my mouth. Sounds potentially dangerous.